Wednesday, June 17, 2020

A Week of Oil Paintings - LAVENDER DELIGHT

LAVENDAR DELIGHT
Oil Painting - 9x12

One of the many benefits of watercolor is that the paints can sit in your palette ready to use whenever you get the creative urge. Oil paints are a whole different story and it took a while to figure out what kind of palette and paint system works the best for me. 

I use a glass palette inside of a Sta Wet Palette box so that when I am not painting with the oils I can easily place the box with the lid on in the freezer to keep the paints moist longer. I also keep my tubes of oil paint lined up on my table in the order that they go on the palette which makes it easier for me to add to the paint piles as needed.


I haven't wanted to practice my oil painting on expensive stretched canvases so I have been using watercolor paper with two coats of gesso or canvas sheets that have been primed. I can tape them to a board and set them on an easel while I paint and then they can easily be framed with or with out a mat.