Monday, March 1, 2021

TROPICAL HIBISCUS & Unfinished Paintings

TROPICAL HIBISCUS
Watercolor batik - 16x16

No matter what I do, I always seem to have a stack of unfinished paintings sitting around. Many of them have good, solid foundations but I either just forgot about them or got to a point where I felt stuck.

At the beginning of any painting, especially with watercolor, the fun part is started a painting where there is unlimited possibilities for a beautiful piece of art to emerge.Wetting the paper and applying bright, bold colors in a free and loose manner. 

Then comes the hard part, where you have to start defining shapes, thinking about values and compositions. I have learned that if I just force myself to sit down with a half finished painting and just pick one small section to start working on I can usually get that right brain creative flow going.

It also helps me to work on it at different times so that my brain has some time to work out a particular problem I may be having with it. And even if I get to a point where I think the painting is beyond saving I have always learned something by making myself push through those creative blocks.

So, here is to all of those unfinished paintings sitting in a stack just waiting to be bought back to life!