Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Plein Air Painting During Winter & Poinsettias


Right before Christmas my Plein Air Group got together to paint at a local nursery in Knoxville. It was way too cold to paint outside so the nursery was the perfect solution. We stayed warm, our paints didn't freeze and it still felt like we were painting nature up close and personal.


The nursery was packed full of gorgeous poinsettias in different colors and it was truly a sight to behold. Hard to believe that every year they sell this many flowers during the holidays.


We had plenty of space to set up our easels to paint. Some of my fellow artists chose to paint large groups of flowers but I decided to focus in on just one poinsettia.


I still feel like I am getting use to using the oil paints after years of watercolors and painting in a large setting is quite a challenge but I was actually quite pleased with my final piece. For once!