Friday, May 24, 2019

ROSE BLUSH - Step by Step Watercolor & SALE

ROSE BLUSH
Watercolor - 8x10

One more week of my 30% Off All Rose Watercolors in my Etsy Shop!


Roses are a challenge to paint because they are such a perfectly formed flower. It is easy to get lost in the detail and forget to have fun so I usually start by applying paint to wet paper to keeps things fresh and loose.


Once everything is dry, I start to define the petals by painting the shadows and trying to leave the edges light.


I continue working my way around the petals using shades of orange, peach and pink and begin to define some of the leaves.


Using a darker green at the base of the petals adds depth and helps to define the overall shape of the rose. Adding small areas of darks in the crevices of the petals gives shape and dimension to the rose.


The final painting shows that I added warmer shades of peach to the overall rose, defined the leaves and warmed up the background here and there.