Saturday, May 26, 2012

Watercolor on Rice Paper - Step by Step

PINK BLOOMS
Watercolor on Rice Paper - 11x15

Here are the step by step photos of the demo painting from my recent Watercolor on Rice Paper Workshop.
I used Massa rice paper, soaked it in water, crumpled it and then glued it to 140 lb paper. While it was still wet I painted in the initial washes of color for the flowers, leaves and background, letting the paint settle into the cracks and crevices of the paper creating wonderful texture.
As the paper began to dry I started using negative painting to define the flowers, petals and leaves. The rice paper tends to soak up the paint so I had to keep reinstating the darks.
When everything was totally dry I added more washes,shadows and details to finish up the painting. I love the soft, romantic look that this technique gives to a floral painting!