Tuesday, March 9, 2021

LAVENDER DELIGHT - Creative Challenge - New Medium

LAVENDER DELIGHT
Oil - 9x12
 
It is always a Creative Challenge to try a new medium. I have painted with watercolors for over thirty years and it is by far my favorite medium. Before I discovered the joy of watercolor I used oils for  decorative painting where it was very structured with patterns and predetermined colors. Last year I decided to revisit oils but in a more free and dynamic way. 


I used bright colors and painted alla prima (wet on wet) which allows for direct application of paint with bold brush strokes. With watercolor you paint light to dark and with oils it is dark to light which takes some getting use to. Oil paints are very creamy and it is a joy to be able to apply high lights of colors on top of dark areas.