Sunday, October 9, 2011

Creative Monday Challenge #40 - Oil and Wine

SOLITARY IRIS
Oil - 9x12

The Creative Challenge this week was to try a new medium soI decided to play around with my oils some more. Years (and I do mean years) ago I used oils when I was doing some decorative painting but they tended to be very small, structured paintings. This summer I decided to give oils a try again, ordered some paints and took a couple of classes but have not touched them since.


I was getting together with friends for a Paint Day so decided it was a good time to dig out the oils again. Here I am packed up and ready to go - don't you love my fancy paint box?


HereI am all set up and ready to start painting. Beautiful, freshly squeezed paint, clean brushes and of course the all important glass of wine and bowl of cheese sticks!


The end of the afternoon - my iris painting is finished, the palette is a little bit messier and of course the wine glass is almost empty. I had moments of frustration with the oils but overall I was happy with the results. I have painted an iris similar to this in acrylics and much prefer the soft, buttery feel of the oils.

Overall, a great day of painting with friends and experimenting with a new medium - it just doesn't get much better than that!