Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Creative Journey - And The Winner Is!

IRIS JEWEL
Original Acrylic - 9x12
$50 - Buy Here

I love to experiment with different mediums, techniques and materials. I painted this solitary iris on a canvs board using acrylic paint. Acrylics can be used thin like watercolor or thick like oils. I worked quickly painting the background to get a blended look to the colors before the paint dried. I slowed down a little while painting the iris, concentrating on lights and darks to seperate the different petal. Irises are a favorite of mine to paint because I love the lacey look to the flower and all the diffeerent shaped petals.

Speaking of trying new mediums I found out yesterday that I won a free 3 Day Workshop from California artist Leslie Saeta! She is known for her boat paintings and does all of her work in oils with a palette knife, creating wonderful colors and interesting, thick textures with the paint. It just so happens that I have been having the itch to try some oils and finally signed up for a class that starts tomorrow.  Part of my personal Creative Journey is to try and stay fresh with my art and not be afraid to jump into something new. Hopefully I won't make a fool of myself at the workshop next January!