Friday, March 4, 2011

GRAPES & LEAVES - Negative Painting

This painting is a great example of negative painting - painting the space around a subject instead of positive painting the actual form. I first wet the whole paper and painted in the background colors. When it was dry I painted the grapes and green leaves. Notice on the leaves that I painted around the veins - again, negative painting. I also darkened the background to paint around the lighter leaves. I love negative painting in watercolor - a very important concept that allows you to make an area lighter since you can't come back in with white paint. I also feel like I create more interesting shapes since it puts me in my 'right' brain.

Grapes and Leaves - $50 - 11x15 inches original watercolor. This painting is available for purchase using PayPal at my Etsy Store. Click Here