Wednesday, June 23, 2021

TOUCH OF SPRING & Teaching

TOUCH OF SPRING
Watercolor - 11x14

As I've mentioned many times I have always enjoy teaching and encouraging artists to discover their own artistic style. I have never been one of those instructors that had the students follow me as I painted step by step so that their final piece looked exactly like mine.

I am sure there were some that would have preferred that but I have always felt that it is far more important for them to take off the training wheels, learn from their own mistakes and build their own confidence as an artist so that they were not afraid to try to paint on their own.

I always try to give each student individual help as needed and give them advice so that they can carry their well begun/half finished artwork across the finish line. What will make the painting better? Does it need more contrast? More details, line work or bold color? How does the composition flow? Is there a center of interest? Does the eye travel around the piece? 

I always love seeing each student explore their own artistic journey as they create their own, unique painting!