Friday, January 13, 2017

Fun Friday - Sunflower Watercolor Collage

SUNFLOWER DANCE
Watercolor Collage - 15x15

Speaking of Fun Friday I had SO much fun when I made this collage painting of sunflowers. I used sections from some of my unwanted watercolor paintings and tore different shapes to use for the sunflower petals and leaves. Because it is hard to totally control the tearing it allows you to create interesting shapes and raw edges that you would not get if you used scissors.

I glued all of the shapes to a piece of 140b watercolor paper that already had shades of blue and purple that were perfect for the look of a sky behind the flowers. Building up layers of shapes creates depth and design interest and I decided to go with purple for the centers of the sunflowers because - why not?

I read somewhere that collage is the perfect creative art form because it takes us back to our childhood where we were free to tear paper and use glue!