Saturday, January 28, 2017

Enjoying The Creative Process & STARRY NIGHT

STARRY NIGHT
Watercolor - 11x15

You hear it all the time - enjoy the process, not the product. But as we all know, that is often easier said than done. I usually love the first stage of watercolor, where everything is possible and the paint flows smooth and easy and the colors are pretty and bright.


In my weekly watercolor class I recently demonstrated painting a night sky. I spattered masking fluid for the stars and used it to save the whites for the snow on the building roofs and trees. Then, I wet the paper and used all shades of blue for the sky and added some shadows in the snow.


When everything was dry, I rewet the foreground and painted the trees with shades of green and phthalo blue.


This is the stage of every painting where I start to get too critical of the 'product' and have to remind myself to trust and enjoy the 'process' of creating. I removed all of the masking fluid and added details to the buildings, more darks on the trees and light shadows on all of the snow.

So, remember to enjoy all of the creative process, the highs and the lows, and to relax and have some fun!