Monday, December 12, 2016

Creative Block?

GOLDEN ASPEN 
Watercolor Batik - 12x19

Do you ever feel like you are blocked creatively? Don't know what to paint or draw! No inspiration in sight? I think we all feel that way at one point or another. Or weekly. Or daily. Non-artists often think that creativity can be turned on and off like a water faucet. We all know differently. Sometimes inspiration strikes like a lightening bolt and other times it is nowhere in sight.


Through the years I have learned that the first step toward getting that creative feeling back is to just walk in to my studio and start getting out some art supplies. Then I force myself to pick up a brush, dip it into some paint and touch it to the watercolor paper. Once I see that beautiful color start to run and spread on the paper I begin to feel that artistic urge coming around. Pretty soon I am in the groove and experiencing that giddy, glorious zone of pure creation!

It also helps if I always have several paintings or projects going at once. When I walk in to the studio I just have to see the artwork in progress and the creative spark is there. Or if I look through my inspiration files full of photos, painting and art ideas. Anything that will visually stimulate that creative part of my brain. After all, art is an active exercise.

What do you do when you hit a creative block?