Monday, June 13, 2016

Creative Monday Challenge - Week 23

PINK HIBISCUS
Watercolor - 6x6

I hope everyone had a nice weekend. It was VERY warm here but after we got some yard work done we took a dip in the lake which made it all worthwhile!

The Creative Monday Challenge for this week is to use your favorite color in a painting of your choice. I was looking at all of my flower paintings in my Etsy Shop and it seems like I use the color Opera a lot! 

HOLLYHOCKS
Watercolor Batik - 12x19

Opera is a very pretty, bright shade of pink that you cannot achieve by mixing any other colors. It layers well, doesn't muddy and stays clear and true. It works very well on rice paper for my watercolor batiks.

CACTUS BEAUTY
Watercolor - 11x15

Opera looks great with any shade of green since they are basically complementary colors.

WILD FLOWERS
Watercolor - 11x15

For Wild Flowers I painted through crumpled tissue paper to create fun texture and the opera held its own with the phthol blue and hint of peach.

PASSION ROSES
Watercolor on gesso - 8x10

Because Opera is such a strong color it worked well when I painted on the slick surface of gessoed paper. So, all in all I LOVE painting with opera on any surface, any style, at any time!