Monday, May 16, 2016

Creative Monday Challenge - Week 19

SPRING DREAM
WC - 14x20

The Creative Monday Challenge for Week 19 is to paint big! Use a big brush, paint on big paper and try to use the same large brush for as much of the painting as you can. 

I normally paint on a quarter sheet of watercolor paper so for Spring Dream I used a half sheet.
I first wet the paper and then applied the paint in random, loose strokes with a 1 1/2 inch flat brush. I have found that if I stand up for this first stage of painting that I can move my arm in a large, free motion and I have a better view of the overall composition and color placement. I continued to add more paint in stronger colors as I began to define the shapes of the flowers, stems and leaves. I tried to use the large brush as long as possible before going to a smaller round for the final details. 

Using a large brush will help loosen you up creatively and allow you to paint more spontaneously. Remember, the goal is to have fun!

If you are new to Creative Monday I would love to have you join us. You can read more about it and get info on joining the free Facebook Group here.

Receive email updates from my Art With Heart blog by clicking here