Thursday, September 26, 2013

Unfinished Paintings and A TOUCH OF PURPLE

A TOUCH OF PURPLE
Watercolor 11x15

I always seem to have a pile of unfinished watercolors - ones that I began as class demos or that I got frustrated with and just put aside for a while. Sometimes, the painting needs to incubate a bit longer before I can move on to the next step with confidence. Sometimes, I am inspired to finish it up and other times I have to force myself to sit down and start painting. Either way, I am always happy that I did not give up on it.

A Touch of Purple was a watercolor that I started several years ago and I couldn't really remember why I chose the unusual color scheme of burnt sienna and purple and I really wasn't sure how to resolve some of the design problems I had with the flower shapes. But I forced myself to use some negative painting, stick with the original colors and finish it up - glad that I did!