Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sunflower on Gesso and Favorite Art Teacher


 
SUMMER SUN
Watercolor on gesso 8x10
SOLD
 
Do you have a favorite art teacher? Was it in elementary school, high school, college or more recently? Who influenced your art the most? I ALWAYS took art as an elective from junior high thru high school - even took one semester where we designed and painted the sets for the school play since my best friend was in drama and I thought it would be fun - it was.
 
In college I majored in Architecture so we had to have four semester of art classes - we drew in pencil, ink, used watercolor and even had a figure drawing class. The teacher I gained the most from spoke very little English but he knew how to say MORE CONTRAST so I learned to love strong values in a composition and you can still see that in my paintings today.
 
 The teacher that influenced me the most was Jodi Binkley who owned a studio in Denver and taught the first real watercolor classes I ever took over twenty years ago. She was a great artist and wonderful teacher - encouraged, critiqued, taught negative shapes and showed me that a painting does not have to be perfect - I owe my love of watercolor to her! 

2 comments:

  1. Martha, you are my inspiration and influence more than you can imagine in 7 years I have learned so much about watercolor and how to use my right brain, and not to give up....Thank you for putting up with me.....Love ya Carol R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol - you have been a great student. You listen, take advice, learn and always have a great attitude - a joy to have in class. You have worked hard and are a wonderful artist!

    ReplyDelete