Thursday, August 9, 2012

Breckenridge Plein Air Painting

ASPEN LEAVES
Watercolor 11x15

I recently spent a wonderful, long weekend in the beautiful mountain town of Breckenridge, CO with some of my art friends. We walked, painted, laughed and drank a few margaritas. A local art group was hosting a Plein Air Art Show and we had fun watching some of the artist painting around town and then their work was exhibited that evening in a show with prizes, food and drink.
I have to admit that am basically a studio painter - more interested in a loose, colorful, experimental style than exactly reproducing what is in nature. But, I did join my oil painting friends one morning on the banks of a stream and gave it a go - I still prefer painting indoors!

I am sure you can guess that Aspen Leaves was not painted while I was outside - definitely a studio painting in anticipation of fall colors and a little snow in the mountains!


2 comments:

  1. Martha, Your fall painting is lovely. Years ago, I owned property in Breckenridge before it was cool. Fond memories ...

    I, too, am more a studio painter, figuring there are only 24 hours in a day, and having to choose, I can't spend the prep time, travel time, etc., to do plein air. Lots of folks around here have become part of the "sketchers" movement, but again, it's a time commitment I don't have. Keep painting in the studio! For every choice there is a sacrifice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha what lovely painting - I know what you mean - it is hard to get set up and paint outdoors. I only do it when I have plenty of time. I do sketch outside though and paint on my deck. Thanks for showing us your lovely art. Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete