Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Painterly Roses

ROSE BOUQUET
Watercolor 8x10

My students tease me that nine out of ten times I begin a painting by wetting the paper so I can paint wet on wet - my favorite way to use watercolor. So this time I decided to stick with dry paper and take a more painterly approach, using the brush strokes to create shapes and letting the colors blend a little within each shape. When everthing dried I came back in and added a little bit of defition here and there and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the final results - guess it pays to shake things up now and then!

2 comments:

  1. Martha love your painterly approach with the roses. The looseness really seems to appeal to me when it comes to florals. It lets the eye finish what is not hard edge. Thanks for sharing. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha what beautiful roses....Carol Reedy

    ReplyDelete