Monday, March 19, 2012

The Power of a Single Flower

IRIS BLUES
Watercolor 11x15

I often choose to paint one large flower where I can really focus in on the details of the bloom and make a dramatic statement with the overall composition. I began Iris Blues with wet paper and applied shades of blue and purple all over the painting and then lifted out paint for high lights and to form the petals of the flower.
SINGLE ROSE
Watercolor 8x10
SOLD

Single Rose is another painting where I focused on one large flower. I first lightly sketched in the rose and then wet the paper to paint in the background, adding some spatters of pink and green. I painted the petals after the paper was dry and enhanced areas of the back ground around the rose.

Both of these paintings can be found on my Auction page of Daily Paintworks here