Friday, January 20, 2012

Yellow Pansies on a Cold Winter Day

PANSY DELIGHT
Original Watercolor - 8x10

I don't usually paint pansies and I am not sure what inspired me to start in the middle of winter - maybe I just felt like a little sunshine in my life right now!
I started with wet watercolor paper and lightly painted the background colors using manganese blue and a little bit of cadmium yellow light. I loaded my brush with more paint and placed the flowers and leaves, adding a few squiggles around them. I used some mauve for the dark centers of the pansies. When everything was dry I added definition to the petals and leaves, focusing the darks around the flowers. I have to admit that these happy, little flowers do make me smile!

"Too often we are so preoccupied with the destination, we forget the journey. Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it."

I shared this with Paint Party Friday
(Greg Anderson)

23 comments:

  1. beatiful ! you truely are the Flower Painting Queen, Martha !
    JanetC

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect antidote to the winter blahs! I love pansies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pansies painting, Martha. Love that rich color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful pansies, I love flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful. I've never mastered the wet watercolour page but you definitely have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your watercolors are absolutely beautiful and stunning. I'm a new fan and follower.
    Best,
    Jenn at www.justaddwatersilly.com, hopping from paint party friday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wonderful pansies and in my favorite color. Just what I needed to see on this gray and white day. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful... I had a huge pot of them on my deck early in spring and they were so beautiful, but way too hot for them now... this makes me wish I had painted them when I had the chance... happy ppf xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh...I love pansies and I love your painting. Its so bright and full of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love seeing the steps of this painting!
    The final result really is delightful! I am such a fan of complementary colors...the combination of yellow and violet looks great!

    I am also your newest blog follower...fan #50! :)

    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting my blog and all the wonderful comments - have a wonderful weekend and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous, happy pansies! Wonderful! Pansies are some of the happiest flowers, aren't they?

    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are perfect! You made them so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oo i LOVE your flowers!! happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i always enjoy your paintings of flowers. Exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your flowers are vibrant and sunny - a joy to look at! Fascinating process too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely watercolor painting! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh so soft and delicate, beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a wonderful and colorful painting.
    Very well done!
    Belated Happy PPF!
    Sheri Cook/HappyHorseStudio

    ReplyDelete