Friday, December 2, 2011

Experimental Painting - Go For It!

SUNBURST
Watercolor on gessoed paper - 11x15

I love to use my watercolor in unexpected ways and see what happens. No other medium is as spontaneous and unpredictable as watercolor. For Sunburst, I used a piece of 140 lb watercolor paper that had been coated with gesso and started applying paint - no sketching first - no value studeies - just let the paint do its thing on a slick surface. Drips, runs, colors mixing - sometimes glorious surprises, other times disaster - all the while trying to think about design, shape, color and value.

The experimental artist starts by asking a question: “What would happen if…..if I let these two colors merge - if I painted on a different surface - if I collaged on some interesting shapes…if I scrunched up plastic wrap and left it there until the painting dried?”  It can be scary to step outside your comfort zone and risk failure - but you will definitely grow as an artist, learn new techniques and come away with unexpectied creative results!

Are you ready to experiment? Step outside of your comfort zone? What creative surprises have you experienced?

I shared this with Paint Party Friday

19 comments:

  1. this is fabulous - an explosion of colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Holiday Paint Out with Creative Catalyst! Prompts come each week in the Tuesday newsletter, and the prompt this week is Peace. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me: Kelly@ccpvideos.com, and I can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is delightful ~ so well done ~ yet carefree and filled with wonderful energy ~ Wow! ~~ thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work and good insoiration, I`m trainning with watercolor, I like it very much. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great colour combinations. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. just amazing, pow ,pow, popping colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is absolutely beautiful...brilliant and everything else that i can't put into words...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE LOVE your work, Martha!!!! happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!!! I absolutely love this!!!!It is so bold and free and intense....maybe you've inspired me to give it a try....

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! This is incredible. So vibrant, and full of energy. I LOVE this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the unpredictability of watercolour... it is just such fun watching emerges sometimes....I would love it even more if mine turned out like this... beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are an awesome example to all of us to step out of our artistic comfort zone! Fabulous!!

    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the kind words. Using watercolor on the gessoed paper really makes the colors sing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoying the vibrancy of your artwork. So full of the energy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It has so much energy! Beautiful sunflower

    ReplyDelete
  16. A burst of color! Yes I've been experimenting a lot lately, mostly with new materials and techniques! It's great and really expands horizons! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vibrant and beautiful!! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love your brilliant colors and the way your paintings seem to have an energy all their own.

    ReplyDelete