Friday, October 21, 2011

A Rose Is A Rose

YELLOW ROSE
Original Watercolor - 8x10

Last week when I announced to my students that we would be painting roses they did not even try to quiet their moans and groans. Roses are such a perfect flower that they can be challenging to paint but with practice and an open mind you will learn enjoy the process and be happy with your results - I promise!

I began with a light sketch of the rose and then wet the whole piece of paper. Keeping in mind that I wanted a light colored rose, I laid in my colors of pale yellow and light blue. I added a little bit of peach in the flower area and then some green where I wanted the leaves to be. To loosen things up a bit I spattered some paint. Notice that some of the green crept into the flower because of the wet paper - no need to panic, this will just add a cohesive look to the painting.

After everything is dry, I just took a petal at a time and painted in the shadow areas of the rose, building up the value a step at a time. Be sure you let each layer dry before painting on top - this will keep your colors clear and pure.

I shared this with Paint Party Friday and Artists in Blogland!

21 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS~Love the detail you get with your watercolors! They just pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, I can't thank you enough for your step by step art lesson in how to paint a rose. This is beautiful. I would love to see some of the students' results too, but I guess that isn't allowed. What a wonderful teacher you are! I'm going to try my hand at painting in this manner. Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you showed progress shots! I am not a watercolor painter, but you are making me want to dabble a little. I use to work with gouache a while back and enjoyed it. What brand watercolor paints do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! and thank you for the tips on how to paint a rose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone - roses can be frustrating but they are a beautiful flower to paint.

    Lesley - you asked about paints. Windsor Newton is the most well known brand (buy the tubes) but I also buy American Journey paints from Cheap Joe's catalog - you get alot for your money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful painting. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is beautiful. i'm painting flowers today too, but they don't look nearly as lovely as yours.
    xxa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous rose and fascinating process. It turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely flower!
    Thanks for posting the process of it evolving, too.

    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  10. you capture so much light and depth in your work... I just hope that I can get that good with watercolours at some stage . Happy PPF xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. so pretty!

    what is this Artist of CO thing I see here?

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for sharing your process. i love the depth and texture of the piece. very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving every inches of your rose work. I could understand your student's moan and groan. As much as I love rose, it took me almost a year before I gave it a try.

    (Those layers of petals are very difficult for a beginner like me to draw and paint!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful! Lovely to see you steps as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a spactacular rose! And thanks for sharing the sketch. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SO beautiful! Thanks for sharing, much love Jennibellie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. loveliness! Come by for some puddin n pie..
    http://georgie-hornpuddinnpie.blogspot.com/2011/10/your-chance-to-win-dont-miss-this.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous....love seeing the process shot too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Martha,Your rose is so beautiful, think I was the biggest whiner in class(as usual) on tuesday when you told us that we were painting roses but I have to say it was one of my most enjoyable classes...Thanks for the challenge and making me use my right brain...

    Love ya
    Carol Reedy

    ReplyDelete