Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Little Bit of Everything

Spring is in the air but here in Colorado we still have snow in the mountains and I love to paint winter scenes. I wanted to experiment with using acrylics on paper so I wet 140 lb paper and used the paints just like I would my watercolors - creating soft, loose shapes.
Then, I decided to collage on some thin rice paper in the background trees and snow area. The nice thing about the acrylic paint is that it won't run or lift once it is dry, so coming in with more paint or matte medium for the collage won't change the underpaitning. When dry, I used more acrylics to paint on top of the rice paper, creating interesting shapes and texture. I also started painting the barn and fence.

WINTER ROSE
Original Watermedia Collage - 8x10
$45 - Buy Here 

I ended up adding some more rice paper and going back to watercolor to paint in the trees and forground. I used gesso on the edge of a piece of mat board to stamp the aspen trees and added details with watercolor. A fun piece to paint - going back and forth between watercolor, acrylic and collage!