Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Creative Monday Challenge #41 - Fall Leaves

FALL BLUES
Original Watercolor - 11x15

The Creative Challenge last week was to paint fall leaves. Every year in my classes we bring in real leaves and use them as stamps to get wonderful leaf impressions on our paintings. For Fall Blues I first wet the paper and painted in some blues and purples for the background using a cruciform composition design. When that was dry, I took a real leaf and painted watercolor on the back and them stamped it on to the painting, creating wonderful leaf shapes and vein details. It doesn't always work perfectly but that just adds to the artistic effect. I then used negative painting to further define the shapes and add some leaves in the background. I added some warm burnt sieena to balance out the cool tones of the blues and purple.

I know I am a day late posting this but my camera decided to stop working and I had to wait for the new one to arrive - maybe I should call it the Creative Tuesday Challenge!

5 comments:

  1. WOW Stunning! It's so beautiful! I love the colors. I wish I lived closer for classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha! This painting is WOW. Really love it. Your use of color in your paintings is something that really inspires me. So vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this painting! I'm a watercolor "wannabe" artist moving to Israel. I'm taking some paints, a little paper and a brush to try my hand at watercolor for the first time.

    Not sure if I will have an opportunity to take any classes. Do you have any recommendations as to how I might learn on my own?

    Thank you for being such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies - it is fun every fall to go pick leaves and use them in the paintings. As for learning watercolor I would say 'just do it' and don't be afraid to let go and let the paint do what it wants - to me that is the beauty of watercolor over all other mediums!

    ReplyDelete