Saturday, January 22, 2011

Creative Monday Challenge #3 - My Painting

The Creative Challenge this week was to use texture as a main design element. I started this painting by wetting the paper around the tree and branches and then applied paint using ultrmarine blue, burnt sienna and purple for the dark background. While the paint was still wet I spattered some blue, painted the berries using concentrated red paint and added salt for more texture. When dry I wet the tree, used ultramarine blue and burnt sienna to paint it and while still wet I sprinkled instant coffee to add more texture to the bark. When everything was dry I used dry brush on the trunk to suggest rough bark and added darks where needed. Using coffee is a fun way to add texture - some of the crystals don't dissolve much and leave a shiny, bumpy look to the tree.