Friday, January 7, 2011

Creative Monday Challenge #1 - My Painting

Ok, so the first Creative Challenge was to take a small object and paint it larger than life. I chose one of the shells that we had collected on a beach vacation while living in South Carolina.
The shell is only about 2 inches long but I painted it on a half sheet of watercolor paper - 15x22. I lightly sketched the shell, then wet the paper and applied yellow ochre, burnt sienna and ultramarine blue randomly, also spattering the paint. When the paper dried I started painting in the shadows, crevices and texture of the shell. Painting such a small object in a large fashion made me really pay attention to the small details.
What about you? What did you decide to paint? What did you learn? Was it a challenge? I would love to hear from anyone who participated in the challenge and hopefully see what you did.

All Washed Up - $95 - 15x22 inches original watercolor. This painting is available for purchase using PayPal at my website. Click Here